Recently, London Transport announced the long-awaited redevelopment of the Lane area in north London, which came into force on Saturday 7 September 2020. The new flat-rate routes bear the numbers WI, W6 and W in the Wood Green area and connects to Wood Green Turnpike Lane. Cycle Enfield will also work on a new roundabout at the junction of Station Road and Fords Grove from Monday 10 April 2021. This will be the first phase of the green belt renewal at this intersection between Station Street and St. Paul’s Road, and between the junctions of Bahnhofstrasse and the road south and southeast of Ford Grove.
For the north Londoners, it is easy to reach, and it is also an easy way – in and out point for those in the city centre. An important feature of Jolly Butchers Hill is the Wood Green Bus Garage, which is now operated by Arriva with diesel buses. It used to run regularly, with passengers commuting between Wood Green and High Road shops and between shops in the area.
In the 1920s Tottenham had an allotment on the grounds of St Michael’s Church in Wood Green for their own use. The allotments of the 1960s included a large number of houses in the area as well as some other buildings. Wood Green has a history as one of London’s most popular tourist destinations and a lot of history in general.
In 1894 / 95, the original St Michael’s Church building on the corner of High Street and Wood Green Road was demolished and began with the area known as the High Street. At first, it was replaced by a large number of new buildings, mainly the chess and farrier’s workshops. This was the first commercial enterprise on the High Road and was so successful that it became one of the most popular shops in the city and at that time one of the largest in London.
When the Great Northern Railway opened in 1850, it was passing through Wood Green and had a station inside, but when it opened it was not passing through the area. The National Railway Station, now Alexandra Palace, was formerly called Wood Green, but was renamed in 1984 to its current name.
Today Wood Green is located six miles north of the City of London and is part of the London Borough of Haringey. In the 1850s Tottenham became one of the first communities in London to have a population of around 1,000 at the beginning of the 20th century. The Wood Green Local Board of Health was administratively separated from Tottenham, and in 1868 London County Council was established, but it was one of six districts that now advise the six districts.
When the local government in London was reorganised in 1965, Hornsey was merged into Wood Green and Tottenham under the London Government Act 1963. In 1965, Wood Green became part of the London Borough of Haringey under the London Government Act 1963, and Crouch End became part of it.
Wood Green was originally part of the Tottenham community and was governed by the newly-formed Tottenham Local Council in the 1850s. The Rhodes family, who owned Tottenham Wood Farm, realised the station would greatly increase the value of their land, provided it opened in 1859. In 1858, the parish of St Michael’s Wood Green built a mission building on this site, which provided a local district church for the Scotch Estate. Wood Green was undoubtedly a welcome stop on the latest foray into the London market.
Harry Boults Club was on Lordship Lane at the end of Wood Green and was begged by his brother-in-law, the late Sir John Balfour. David Gent recalls: “It was a short start but a great start for the local community and a good introduction to the world of motorsport.
The next trolleybus that passed by here was the 643, which was only on the way for one day, and none of us had had the transport of our own at that time. The first photo of the first Wood Green trolleybuses in use in London dates from July 1961. They would drive from Enfield to Wood Green in the morning and back again in the evening, stopping at Lordship Lane and then back to the station.